Re: import graphics

On Wed, 5 May 1999 owner-siag@edu.stockholm.se wrote:

> Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 06:30:40 +0800 (CST)
> From: owner-siag@edu.stockholm.se, Dan Stromberg <strombrg@nis.acs.uci.edu>
> To: Ulric Eriksson <ulric@siag.nu>
> Cc: I.D. Chan <id903@iname.com>, siag@edu.stockholm.se
> Subject: Re: import graphics
>
> Ulric Eriksson wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 3 May 1999, I.D. Chan wrote:
> >
> > > i was unable to import graphics ( xpm, xbm, jpg ,... ) in both the siag
> > > and pw.
> > >
> > > i don't know why.
> > >
> > > Could anyone help ?
> >
> > Every format needs a converter which converts it to XPM format and spits
> > it out on stdout. For images which are already in XPM format the converter
> > is cat, so it works on any system.
> >
> > JPG is handled by the djpeg program.
> >
> > XBM and many other formats are handled by the Netpbm converter collection.
> > I have a feeling that the Netpbm converter for XBM is broken.
> >
> > Ulric
>
> IIRC, xbm and xpm both can vary a lot in how they are formatted, and the
> related netpbm tools make some biggish assumptions about how xbm and xpm
> are formatted.

i even could not get the xpm import work.

i use redhat 5.1, siag-3.0.6-1.  After installing the siag, i did not set
any configuration ( should i ? ). i did try setting $SIAGHOME to
/usr/lib/siag, but the result was the same.

how did i do the importing ?  ---  run pw & -- use the plugin menu -
import - select the xpm file in the file selector -- then nothing happpen.
i did the same for importing .pw file, it WORKED.

what is the problem ? would there be anyway to get some debug information
( say, through the syslogd) ?

any idea to find out the cause of failure ?