Converting string to date

Hi.

I want to make a spread sheet of hours worked each day.
I want to enter start time, and end time, and to compute the
difference.
Anyone have an example they want to share ?
Specifically, how do you convert a string like 9:17 to a date which
you can then subtract from another date.

TIA.

--
  The day is short, and the work is great,     |   Aharon Schkolnik
  and the laborers are lazy, and the reward    |   Aharon@health.gov.il