Converting string to date

I want to make a spread sheet of hours worked each day.
I want to enter start time, and end time, and to compute the
Anyone have an example they want to share ?
Specifically, how do you convert a string like 9:17 to a date which
you can then subtract from another date.

  The day is short, and the work is great,     |   Aharon Schkolnik
  and the laborers are lazy, and the reward    |   Aharon@health.gov.il
  is great, and the Master of the house is     |   +972 2 670 6851
  impatient. - Ethics Of The Fathers Ch. 2     |