RE: single point of failure: what is vrrp

From: Brantley Hobbs (bhobbs@itos.uga.edu)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 13:19:01 CEST

David,

VRRP itself is a router redundancy protocol (the name itself meaning Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol), and it's definition can be found at http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-vrrp-spec-v2-06.txt.

There are several different implementations of this protocol for UNIX based systems. I can't speak for the Linux implementations, but the most commonly used one for FreeBSD systems is 'vrrpd'. A quick Google search for vrrpd should net you the homepage for the project.

vrrpd is very quick and easy to set up. I think you'll find it suitable for your applications. It can provide failover for 2 to 64 computers (not quite sure about that upper limit, but I know that it can provide failover for only two machines).

Good Luck!
Brantley Hobbs
Applications Developer
University Of Georgia - Information and Technology Outreach Services
Athens, GA, USA