Re: A few questions...

From: Ulric Eriksson (ulric@siag.nu)
Date: Wed Aug 28 2002 - 11:20:37 CEST

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Eduard Tieseler wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Has anyone ever tried using PEN with to Load Balance a couple of Linux boxes
> running Samba? Is it possible?

The tiny amount of testing I've done semms to indicate that it works. See
http://siag.nu/hypermail/pen/0054.html. Whether it is useful or not is
another question.

> I am also curious as to how PEN identifies if a server becomes unavailable.

If a connection attempt fails (connection refused or timeout), the server
is "blacklisted" for a period of time. The default timeout period is 5
seconds and the default blacklist time is 30 seconds.

See http://siag.nu/hypermail/pen/0038.html for an example of better error
detection.

Ulric