Re: What are "simple tcp-based protocols"

From: Ulric Eriksson (ulric@siag.nu)
Date: Thu Sep 12 2002 - 15:10:55 CEST

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Torsten Valentin wrote:

> The question is, can I load-balance other protocols that use tcp ?
> What I'd be needing is to load-share SSL-connections that usually remain
> open for weeks. Would that be possible with PEN?

A simple tcp-based protocol is one where the client connects to the
server, sends requests and receives replies over the same connection.
Examples: telnet, http, smtp and many others. See the HOWTO for more.

It does not work well when the protocol embeds address information in the
payload (FTP, Java RMI), although there are sometimes workarounds.

Ulric