Re: pen performance with poll on large number of simultaneous connections

From: Ulric Eriksson (ulric@siag.nu)
Date: Wed Sep 18 2002 - 12:29:03 CEST

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Torsten Valentin wrote:

> I thought if I configure and compile pen --with-poll, select() would not
> be used and poll() would be used instead?

The poll() code is experimental, as in "probably doesn't work properly".
I've considered tossing it out because it doesn't actually solve the
problems it was supposed to, due to the performance problems you note
below.

An alternative would be to get at the raw frames (ip or ethernet) instead.
There is however no completely portable way to do that. It would also
require a major rewrite of the low-level plumbing in pen. On the other
hand, it would be easier to do things, such as modifying frame headers. It
is difficult to say what it would do to performance, although I believe it
would be very fast.

Ulric