Re: adding/removing servers from pool

From: Ulric Eriksson (ulric@siag.nu)
Date: Sun Dec 08 2002 - 02:48:23 CET

On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, David Thiel wrote:

> Just discovered pen, and it's an excellent tool. I'd like to have
> the functionality of adding and removing servers from the cluster
> without restarting, or re-specify the list of servers. Is there a
> way to do this with penctl that I'm missing? If not, I think it'd
> be a pretty useful feature to add, so servers can be added/removed/upgraded
> without interruption.

Most things can be done while pen is running using the penctl utility. One
thing that can't be done is to add more servers, but you can start pen
with a number of "placeholder" servers that point to dummy addresses and
use those as slots for real servers later. Something like this:

8<---
libretto:~$ pen -C localhost:11111 localhost:2323 blade:telnet
libretto:~$ telnet localhost 2323
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.

SunOS 5.8

login: ulric
Password:
Last login: Sun Dec 8 02:32:35 from libretto
bash-2.03$ logout
Connection closed by foreign host.
libretto:~$ penctl localhost:11111 server 0 address drake
libretto:~$ telnet localhost 2323
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.

drake login: ulric
Password:
Linux 2.4.19.
Last login: Sun Dec 8 02:42:16 +0100 2002 on pts/2 from libretto.
No mail.
ulric@drake:~$ logout
Connection closed by foreign host.
8<---

The source comes with a file called CONTROL which lists all the available
penctl commands.

Ulric