Re: core generated in pen 0.12.0

From: Ulric Eriksson (ulric@siag.nu)
Date: Fri May 28 2004 - 21:13:24 CEST

On Fri, 28 May 2004, Yuri Lima Fugikawa wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Im running five pen instances in RedHat ES 3.0 2.4.21-9.0.1.EL, pentium
> 4 with 1GM ram, balancing the load of five j2ee web app, with near 200
> clients at same time.
>
> Today morning, I get a crash in one of the instances.
>
> The generated crash dump says:
>
> "
> Core was generated by `/web/pen/bin/pen -l /web/logs/intranetbvf.log -C
> 10 -x 500 -T 43200 -S 2 128.20'.
> Program terminated with signal 25, File size limit exceeded.
> #0 0xb75ebc32 in ?? ()
> "
>
> Who is this "file" complaining about the size, and what is this max size .
> At the momento of crash, all ram memory was busy.
>
> Any hints?

The log file is too big. Either because of limitations in the shell that
started the process (check with "ulimit -a") or simply because it has
grown beyond what the filesystem can handle.

You should rotate the log file now and then like this:

mv /web/logs/intranetbvf.log /web/logs/intranetbvf.log.1
kill -HUP <PID>

where <PID> is pen's process id. You can use the -p option to write the
pid to a file when pen starts.

Ulric