Re: SSL usage ?

From: Ricardo Stella <stella_at_rider.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 16:37:59 -0400

Ulric Eriksson wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Sep 2005, Ricardo Stella wrote:
>

>> I understand that SSL is experimental. But I don't even see that it's
>> being used, though it's properly comiled and libraries are linking to
>> it.
>>
>> I show nothing when running pen in debug mode that certs are being
>> loaded. My approach is to try to use pen as a failover stunnel.
>>
>> In my case, I want to accept localhost non-secure connections for ldap
>> in 389 and contact a farm of ldap servers in secure mode (port 636).
>>
>> Currently 389->389 or 636->636 works perfectly fine. But not 389->636,
>> since the secure connection needs to be done by pen.
>>
>> Any ideas ?
>

> There is no code for the pen->server connections, only for client->pen.

But what I don't understand is what's the SSL code in it is for then.

I'm currently doing:

SSLclient -> pen:636 -> ldap:636, ldap2:636, ldap3:636

For a client that speak ssl, I don't need to tell pen anything about
ssl. Pen is passing the encrypted connection to the servers with no
problem. If I put stunnel in front, yes, it would work (I don't see why
not). I don't see why would pen need any ssl code otherwise.

Thanks.

--