Re: pen vs ldirector

From: Mark Jayson R. Alvarez <jayson_at_asti.dost.gov.ph>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 15:34:24 +0000

Hi,
> Yes. You can think of it as a proxy.
Alright... our current LVS setup uses direct routing which means(afaik),
doesn't proxy the clients request but forwards it to the real server using
mac address rewriting.. However.. I am just concerned about how the pen
machine will perform under this setup. The LB will be used to balance
connections coming from other proxy servers(single ip). Our environment
consist of parent proxy farm(located at our noc), and child proxies of
different institution which are connected to us which their web access is
through their proxy servers peered to our proxy farm.. Any thoughts about
this?

> > Another thing, how does pen weighs its connection to determine
> > which server is loaded and which is not? The ldirector seems
> > like its not based on per connection counts, it only shows all
> > of the real servers have equal weights.
> >
> >From man pen:
>
> -W Use weight for server selection.
>
> > Lastly, we are going to use pen for squid proxy server
> > balancing on port 3128, does pen knows how to check the health
> > of this service?
>
> Pen only knows about tcp. It will try to connect to port 3128. If
> it fails, the server will be blacklisted for a number of seconds,
> 30 by default.
>
> -b sec Servers that do not respond are blacklisted, i.e.
> excluded from the server selection algorithm, for
> the specified number of seconds (default 30).
>
> Since you want to balance two services, apache and squid, you'll
> run two pen instances. They will blacklist servers independently.
Not anymore a problem, I just found a nagios plugin to check the health of
squid proxies... Although I haven't throughly investigate on it yet...