Re: penlog logs wrong ip

From: Ulric Eriksson <ulric_at_siag.nu>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 11:15:35 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, Bernd Wieland wrote:

> We have just implemented pen 0.15.0 and we are using penlog for
> generating logfiles.
>
> The problem is, that the remote IP-adress (%a) is not always logged
> correctly: instead of the remote IP sometimes the IP of the host where
> pen is running is logged.
>
> In each of the web servers configuration files there are these lines:
> Log_Format "%a %h %v ........." pen_log
> CustomLog "|/usr/bin/penlog IP-LOGHOST 10000 " pen_log
>
> What can we do to log the client IP correctly??

Penlogd works by correlating log entries it receives from the web
servers with the ones it receives from pen. If it can't find a
reasonable-looking client address, the address of the host
running pen is logged instead.

Since the logs are sent using udp, it is possible to lose logs
due to high load on the servers or the network. If the load is
low but you still get lots of incorrect addresses, it is possible
that the network is dropping packets (bad cabling, bad duplex
settings on switches etc).

Ulric