Re: what is the balancing algorithm for pen?

From: Ulric Eriksson <ulric_at_siag.nu>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 09:57:10 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008, Wei Li wrote:

> Hi, all
>
> I'm getting started to 'use' pen as my load balancer for web servers.
> It's really easy to run, thanks for team's efforts.
> I wonder what is the balancing algorithm for pen, and is it
> configurable?
>
> If I want to set a new balancing policy, could you tell me how to
> implement it?

The default algorithm is round-robin with client tracking and
failover. Also available are round-robin without client tracking,
priority based selection, weight based selection, hash based
selection and "stubborn" selection which refuses to fail over if
the initially selected server is unavailable.

There are a number of options that affect the selection. They are
described in the manpage.

If you want to implement a totally new algorithm, look at the
function add_client in pen.c.

Ulric