Re: Pen goes extremely slow occasionally

From: Chris St. Pierre <stpierre_at_NebrWesleyan.edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 13:13:01 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 5 Nov 2008, Chris St. Pierre wrote:

> As we've seen, this happens with _very_ low numbers of connections --
> under 100. What could be causing these problems?

I wanted to quantify, so I wrote a couple quick one-liners that would
check the number of open connections to pen, and record the time it
took a simple LDAP query to complete.

0-4 0.0950588235294117
5-10 0.0586497005988023
11-15 0.0905162907268172
16-20 0.262059210526316
21-25 0.433547619047619
26-30 0.932710526315789
31-35 5.503
36-40 10.194
41-45 15.3785
46-50 13.512
51-60 24.6216666666667
61-70 40.34025
71-75 35.605
76-80 39.433
81-85 54.06
85-90 42.2175

Some of the upper reaches have only a handful of samples, thus
accounting for the variability.

Chris St. Pierre
Unix Systems Administrator
Nebraska Wesleyan University