Re: SMTP Logging using penlogd : bogus web line

From: Joshua Johnston <jjohnston_at_sproutloud.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 09:20:22 -0500 (EST)

----- "Ulric Eriksson" <ulric_at_qbranch.se> wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Jan 2009, Joshua Johnston wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I recently started using pen for email load balancing and ran
> > into an issue using penlog / penlogd for "merging" the mail log
> > with pen's own logs. When I send data to penlog, if it doesn't
> > contain a " (double quote) it is ignored and the following is
> > written to /var/log/debug.log
> >
> > Jan 21 15:21:19 mail penlogd: bogus web line Jan 21 15:21:07
> > mlr2 postfix/qmgr[1010]: 8D2D742C2: removed
> >
> > Is there a way to tell pen(log) to log these lines that don't
> > contain a double quote short of modifying the code?
>
> No. ;)
>
> From penlogd.c, the function store_web:
>
> p = strchr(b, '"');
> if (p == NULL) {
> debug("bogus web line %s", b);
> return;
> }
>
> As the name of the function suggests, it expects web logs. How
> have you configured postfix to make it use penlog? It is a very
> interesting idea and I think penlogd could quite easily be
> adapted for that use.
>
> Ulric

Right now I use a hackish approach combining a wrapper script and
some modifications to syslog.conf.

I added the following lines to syslog.conf

    local6.* |/usr/local/bin/penlog_smtp

Then penlog_smtp is:

    #!/bin/sh
    read INPUT
    echo $INPUT '"penlog"' | /usr/local/bin/penlog <HOSTNAME> <PORT>

Then postfix's main.cf has:

    syslog_facility = local6

I have Courier IMAP doing something similar with it's LOGGEROPTS config flag
but pointed to local7