Re: [Siag] Newbie - help compiling

From: Ulric Eriksson (ulric@siag.nu)
Date: Sun Jan 20 2002 - 00:51:20 CET

On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, Imad wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, Ulric Eriksson wrote:
>
> > If this were on Linux, I would tell you to run /sbin/ldconfig -v, but I
> > don't know if that's necessary with OpenBSD.
>
> ldconfig runs on boot, but generally it's not required for OpenBSD. I've
> tried both rebooting and manually running it, but no luck.
>
> > Check config.log. It reports what the configure script did and what went
> > wrong. In this case, why it couldn't find the library.
>
> config.log doesn't seem to be too helpful:

> configure:7754: checking for main in -lMowitz
> configure:7774: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -L/usr/X11R6/lib conftest.c
> -lMowitz -lXaw -lXpm -lXmu -lXext -lSM -lICE -lXt -lX11 -lm >&5
> ld: -lMowitz: no match
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> configure:7777: $? = 1
> configure: failed program was:
> #line 7762 "configure"
>

> ldconfig -r lists the libraries ld knows about:
> 84:-lXm.2.1 => /usr/local/lib/libXm.so.2.1
> 85:-lbz2.10.1 => /usr/local/lib/libbz2.so.10.1
> 86:-lXawM.1.0 => /usr/local/lib/libXawM.so.1.0
> 87:-lMowitz.1.1 => /usr/local/lib/libMowitz.so.1.1
>
> I'm not too knowledgable about the way libraries are referenced, but
> perhaps the configure script doesn't realize "lMowitz.1.1" is "lMowitz"
> itself. I believe a similiar bug popped up when I was trying to
> configure Mowitz to use Xaw3D instead of XawM (I ended up installing
> XawM in the end). Apart from Mowitz and Siag, I haven't had this
> problem with any other software I've compiled. Then again, I tend not to
> compile large programs on my puny Sparc 5/85. ;)

Hey, no badmouthing old Suns. Siag.nu used to be a Sparc 4 until last
year. Now it's an Intel 486/33 load balanced with an old Alpha.

You can stop laughing now.

Anyway, I don't know much about how OpenBSD shared libraries work, but
what I see above looks right to my understanding: the full path, the
library name, the major number and the minor number. It seems more likely
that it is the compiler which can't find the libraries, i.e.

LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib ./configure

might help.

Ulric