Re: Why are my compiled binaries bigger?

From: Barry Kauler (bkauler@goosee.com)
Date: Mon May 12 2003 - 15:40:47 CEST

>> -- however, the precompiled binaries are about 4 times smaller.
>> For example, pw is about 250K, whereas my compiled version is about 1M.
>
>That is because the precompiled binaries are stripped. Like this:
>
>8<---
>ulric@armada:~/Projekt/siag/xpw$ ls -l pw
>-rwxr-xr-x 1 ulric users 823340 Mar 3 16:03 pw*
>ulric@armada:~/Projekt/siag/xpw$ strip pw
>ulric@armada:~/Projekt/siag/xpw$ ls -l pw
>-rwxr-xr-x 1 ulric users 257352 May 12 12:31 pw*
>8<---
>
>> I'm even thinking of using just Xaw3d rather than neXtaw, as the former
>is a
>> fraction of the size. Also, Siags docs state they are 100% compatible.
>> -- so probably I could just use symlink to libXaw3D and not even bother
>> recompile? (especially as I can't get small binaries as the precompiled
>ones
>> anyway).

Thanks very much for the info -- what a revelation!
I have programming experience, but in DOS/Windows.
I applied the "strip" program to my libneXtaw.so file, and that also became
much much smaller, so I'm staying with it.
I have also tested the stripped files and they all work, except one small thing...

I'm using "strip -s filename", and maybe that takes out too much?
For Links, the graphical and text web browser, it compiled to 7.0M, after stripping
became 2.6M. Still works, except for one strange difference -- a little welcome
dialog box no longer appears.
So... I wonder just what is getting stripped out...

Regards,
Barry Kauler