Re: Why are my compiled binaries bigger?

From: Ulric Eriksson (ulric@siag.nu)
Date: Mon May 12 2003 - 13:16:56 CEST

On Sun, 11 May 2003, Barry Kauler wrote:

> Hi, I've just subscribed to the Siag mailing list. Hope I am sending
> this contribution to the right address so it gets on the list!
>
> I like Siag Office very much!
>
> I've got a question about size of binaries. I downloaded latest precompiled,
> which uses Mowitz and neXtaw libraries.
> I downloaded those libraries and installed them, then downloaded the Siag
> source and compiled it. All went well, it found the libraries, compiled as
> shared, "ldd" showed all is well with the compiled binaries, same shared
> libraries as the precompiled binaries
> -- however, the precompiled binaries are about 4 times smaller.
> For example, pw is about 250K, whereas my compiled version is about 1M.

That is because the precompiled binaries are stripped. Like this:

8<---
ulric@armada:~/Projekt/siag/xpw$ ls -l pw
-rwxr-xr-x 1 ulric users 823340 Mar 3 16:03 pw*
ulric@armada:~/Projekt/siag/xpw$ strip pw
ulric@armada:~/Projekt/siag/xpw$ ls -l pw
-rwxr-xr-x 1 ulric users 257352 May 12 12:31 pw*
8<---

If you use "install-strip" as the makefile target, it will strip the
binaries automatically for you.

> I'm even thinking of using just Xaw3d rather than neXtaw, as the former is a
> fraction of the size. Also, Siags docs state they are 100% compatible.
> -- so probably I could just use symlink to libXaw3D and not even bother to
> recompile? (especially as I can't get small binaries as the precompiled ones
> anyway).

I would recompile. You get the latest version and don't have to mess with
symlinks.

Ulric