Re: use fontconfig and/or libXft

From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed_at_reedmedia.net>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 09:23:00 -0500 (CDT)

> > Anyone working on siag?
>
> Sometimes. ;-)

Good to hear.

> > $ pw
> > Warning: Cannot convert string
> > "-*-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*" to type FontStruct
> > Panic: can't load any fonts!
> >
> > I'd prefer that pw/siag didn't hardcode this. Is there any configuration to
> > not force this? Or use something else?
>
> Standard X resources, can be modified by the standard mechanisms. For example,
> on the command line:
>
> pw -xrm '*font:*times-medium-i*12*'

xlsfonts showed I only had fixed but got:

$ pw -xrm '*font:*misc-fixed-medium*r*12*'
Panic: can't load any fonts!

But no more "Cannot convert string" warning, so it was found.

Anyways, I worked around my problem by using xset to add more font paths.

My next problem is pressing (c) copyright symbol never brings up the
License file. I get a dialog to choose file format and a new pw window
starts up. But never see the license.

Also I tried to load a .doc file and it said on xterm console "antiword"
not installed -- that message should go in the GUI just in case pw is
started from menu and no messages are seen. Also "usage: lmb url" was
inserted as the text of my pw document.

Also when I tried to load an RTF file, the console had: "error 3 parsing
rtf" and pw hung -- X wouldn't redraw the widgets. And pw wouldn't
recognize close window event, so I killed it.

When I tried to open a plain text file, the window title barchanged to
show the file name, but nothing was displayed in pw. I tried opening
several files within pw and can never open anything. I was able to open
/etc/motd from command line with "pw /etc/motd" and then choosing Text.
But can't open the same file using the File -> Open within pw. Or maybe
that is caused by not using an absolute path when I choose a filename
starting with / (slash)? I don't know since I only had a message dumped to
console "Can't open file" with bogus path one time and never any errors in
pw.

I did have some success opening other rtf files -- but did get console
messages like "error 1 parsing rtf".

Also I don't see any way in pw menu to close a file -- other than "Exit"
to close all open documents.

  Jeremy C. Reed