Re: load imbalance

From: Ulric Eriksson (ulric@siag.nu)
Date: Fri Nov 30 2001 - 23:50:58 CET

On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Christopher Godaire wrote:

> Apparently it's becoming confused about who the clients are. The "client"
> column in the "Active Connections" section of the status page lists the ids
> of all the clients as 5. A quick look at the "Active Client" list shows that
> client 5 is on server 0, which is exactly where all traffic is going. I'm
> guessing that if 5 were on server 1, that's where the traffic would be.
>
> I've got status pages for before and after, if you'd like to see them. For
> now running it with -r should probably fix my situation and shouldn't hurt
> as we're running a bunch of perl scripts (no state).

Having a look at the status page might help.

Another thing: you are not using pen's own logging, are you? If you turn
that on (using the -l option), it will log the client address for each
access along with a bunch of other information. That should reveal why pen
thinks all clients are the same. The log file can also be correlated with
the access logs from the web servers (using mergelogs).

Then again, running with -r will probably fix it. But it would be nice to
solve the mystery.

Ulric