Server Timeout not working?

From: Sean Cross (scross@skateboardinc.com)
Date: Fri May 31 2002 - 02:36:42 CEST

Recently (well, not recently,) my company has become... disenchanted with
Windows Load-Balancing Services. Now, the machines that are being balanced
just-so-happen to be behind a NATed Linux system. I stumbled across this
program, and thought it was just the most incredible thing ever developed!

However, I do have one (two) *minor* quirk/feature/bug/anomaly that I am
curious about:
Our IIS server is having problems (go figure.) Sometimes, it will go into
a state where TCP connections are accepted, but no data is actually
transferred. This is a bad thing. Worse off, it causes Pen to simply hang
whenever a system wants to connect to that particular machine. What can I
do about this?

The second problem (and this would be the icing on the cake,) is that
sometimes one of the servers will go "down". By "down", I mean that it
generates nothing but "HTTP 500" error messages. How difficult would it be
for you (or even me, I haven't looked at the codebase yet) to add support
for "If on port 80, and we're dealing with HTTP traffic, and we get a
500-error, consider this machine down"?

Thank you for an already wonderful product!