Re: pen and high loads

From: Sean Cross (scross@skateboardinc.com)
Date: Mon Jun 24 2002 - 23:18:21 CEST

Right now, I am running Pen 0.9.0 on our website which gets steady traffic of
1.5-2mb/minute distributed over 2 servers. Right now, it has about 450
simultaneous connections. (The limit is 507 currently. I will be very happy
when full poll() support is added.)

It is running on port 80 and port 443, hashed, which increases the amount of
power being used.

The computer is a Celeron 1.0 Gigahertz, and has 128 megs of memory. It is
running the lastest rsync'ed version of Gentoo. Pen is the only major
program running (aside from various logging facilities, GPM, and a monitoring
process.)

I suspect we may be under the occasional attack by various [D]DOSes, but I
really haven't seen anything major.

Right now, Pen is using 35% of the CPU. The queue length is hovering around
0.75.

Overall, I am very pleased with its performance.

What you might want to do is run a program such as "top", to figure out what
the top usage of CPU is. As I said, Pen is at the top on my particular
system.

It may also be disk throughput. Your swap may have been 100% free, but it may
have cached various things to the disk.

If you're feeling particularly clever/bored/whatever, one interesting trick
may be to use a flavor of linux that comes on a single floppy (such as a
version of LRP, or muLinux) and run it without even touching the hard disk.
If it works fine, then you know it's disk related.