Re: HTTP Accelarator

From: Ulric Eriksson (ulric@siag.nu)
Date: Wed Apr 16 2003 - 23:16:59 CEST

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, Fernando Ibanez wrote:

> One could use Squid (Web Cache Server) to cache your webpages
> in http-accelator mode, caching outgoing web request.
> If you bind it to port 80 and have apache on port 81,
> or in this list's case having squid and pen bound.
>
> Using pen on port 81, and Squid on port 80 squid will cache
> the results from your webservers, saving:
>
> * bandwidth - less hops and traffic
> * CPU load on databases on dynamic websites
>
> You can read about Squid as an accelator:
> http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-20.html
>
> My questions are:
> What dangers do you see in a configuration like this?
> Who has used a caching mechanism with pen?

First of all, caching is mostly useful for static content, and a modern
web server can serve static content faster than you can load it over the
Internet.

Why static? Because dynamic content is much harder for the cache to
know what can and cannot be cached. The solutions that actually work are
usually more clever than Squid.

IMHO load balancing is more important than caching nowadays. It also gives
protection against web server outage.

The main problem I see with combining pen and squid is that pen will see
all requests as coming from a single IP address. Alternatively try running
two squids, each caching content for one of the web servers, and put pen
before the squids.

Ulric