Re: RES: Penlogd not responding to TERM and HUP signals (thanks)

From: Ulric Eriksson (ulric@siag.nu)
Date: Tue Oct 14 2003 - 02:21:38 CEST

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, Diego Francisco de Gastal Morales wrote:

> I wonder if is it a good idea to use penlogd in a heavy loaded site. Our
> site gets 200K hits in peak hours. If I balance between two or three
> machines, won't recvfrom leave the apache log mecanism waiting (too
> long)? Is 200K hits/hour (~60 per/second) too much for penlogd to log? I
> think it will be safer leaving on disk and merging them after.

That's why penlogd uses udp. The worst that can happen is that packets get
dropped; the web server will never be held up. At 60 per second, it's
unlikely that anything will be dropped.

It hurts to merge logfiles, don't do that. ;-) If you run penlogd on a
separate host with a fast disk, it is less likely to run into performance
problems than logging directly to disk.

Ulric