Re: Question about client ip

From: Ulric Eriksson (ulric@siag.nu)
Date: Sun Feb 01 2004 - 01:00:34 CET

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004, Michael Kagerbauer wrote:

> > Look into penlog/penlogd. There's some info on how to set it up in the
> > HOWTO file that comes with the tarball.
>
> penlogd is not the thing I need - the problem is that only the loadbalancer
> knows the real client-ip and I have no chance to get it on one of the
> WWW-servers - but I need it in realtime :)

Penlogd is pretty neat if you have multiple web servers or just want to
log to a separate host, load balancing or not. But it is correct that it
doesn't do what you need in this case.

> I need something like this:
>
> -H add X-Forwarded-For header in http requests
>
> If I add this switch, HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR contains the Client-IP adress -
> but this option has a bug, if I reload the page the variable becomes empty.
> Other load balancer software (like Zeus) are adding a new Header-Variable,
> like X_CLUSTER_CLIENT_IP which you can read out on the WWW-servers. By the
> way, what happens if HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR is already set when the client
> reaches the pen-server? Does pen give this information to the WWW-servers or
> will it be empty or replaced?

Pen looks if there is already such a header in place, and does not replace
it if it is already present. Otherwise it wouldn't work if the client is
behind a proxy.

The problem was that the check thought the header was always present,
except for the first time. The new and improved 0.12.1 release fixes this
bug.

Ulric