Re: Question about client ip

From: Michael Kagerbauer (m.kagerbauer@kagerbauer.net)
Date: Sat Jan 31 2004 - 23:19:38 CET

> Look into penlog/penlogd. There's some info on how to set it up in the
> HOWTO file that comes with the tarball.

penlogd is not the thing I need - the problem is that only the loadbalancer
knows the real client-ip and I have no chance to get it on one of the
WWW-servers - but I need it in realtime :)

I need something like this:

-H add X-Forwarded-For header in http requests

If I add this switch, HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR contains the Client-IP adress -
but this option has a bug, if I reload the page the variable becomes empty.
Other load balancer software (like Zeus) are adding a new Header-Variable,
like X_CLUSTER_CLIENT_IP which you can read out on the WWW-servers. By the
way, what happens if HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR is already set when the client
reaches the pen-server? Does pen give this information to the WWW-servers or
will it be empty or replaced?

Michael