Re: pen vs ldirector

From: Mark Jayson R. Alvarez <jayson_at_asti.dost.gov.ph>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 17:57:43 +0000

> On Tue, 22 Nov 2005, Mark Jayson R. Alvarez wrote:
> > Alright... our current LVS setup uses direct routing which means(afaik),
> > doesn't proxy the clients request but forwards it to the real server
> > using mac address rewriting.. However.. I am just concerned about how
> > the pen machine will perform under this setup. The LB will be used to
> > balance connections coming from other proxy servers(single ip). Our
> > environment consist of parent proxy farm(located at our noc), and child
> > proxies of different institution which are connected to us which their
> > web access is through their proxy servers peered to our proxy farm.. Any
> > thoughts about this?
>
> All right, so it looks like this:
>
> .------. .-------. .-------. .-----. .---------.
>
> | user | -> | squid | -> | squid | -> | pen | -> | servers |
>
> `------' `-------' `-------' `-----' `---------'
>
> Right? Many links in that chain... Other than that, no problems.

PS=Parent Squid Proxy
CS= Child Squid Proxy
<->= CARP
u=users
                 _____________
                / \
               ( INTERNET )
                \_____________/

           _____ ____ ____
            PS1 PS2 PS3 ----->all three including
           ------- ----- ------ the 2 pen are located at
                  \ | / our noc
                    \ | /
                     \ | /
        {PEN1} <-> {PEN2} -
               \ /
                 \ --------------- /
                  |___________/
                 / / \ \
               / / \ \
          CS1 CS2 CS3 CS4 ------> Child proxies are
            / / \ \ various clients(
       u u u u u u u u u u u u u univs, govt agen-
       u u u u u u u u u u u u u u cies, etc)

This means that all traffice will pass through a single pen.
Will there be no problem with this setup?