Re: Pen 0.16.0 released

From: Chris Elsworth <chris_at_shagged.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 12:16:18 +0000

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 12:25:58PM +0100, Ulric Eriksson wrote:
> I have released Pen 0.16.0 in the usual place:
>
> One reason for this release is make recent source available.
> Chris: can you check that your patches apply to this version? In
> that case I see another release coming up in a few days.

Hello,

Good timing, I was just about to post another patch, and one of the
hunks failed with your changes (char *opt). It's fully 0.16.0
compatible now :)

So, for my hat-trick, here is FreeBSD (probably works on NetBSD too)
kqueue support:

http://spork.qfe3.net/pen/0.16.0/pen_0.16.0_kqueue_chrise_20051215.diff

I've been a bit tidier this time and made mainloop_kqueue(), rather
than hack apart mainloop_poll(). I've also added -K as an option to
use kqueue over select. I'm not very good with autoconf/automake so I
haven't altered configure.in - it just needs to add a --with-kqueue
option that defines/undefines HAVE_KQUEUE in config.h

As with /dev/poll this appears to work. I'm running it right now on a
production server and it seems very happy. The changes are quite
extensive due to the way kqueue works; you can't add more than one
event per member of the kevent array, so it got a little more
longwinded. I've also had to add another member to the connection
struct, see comments in code.

As for the previous patches, the /dev/poll patch works fine, just a
few offsets for it to cope with. But I might rewrite that one to use
mainloop_devpoll() so it's easier to integrate into a release. As it
is you'd have to do lots of cleaning up.

The signals patch is also fine:
Patching file pen.c using Plan A...
done

Hope to see all this in 0.16.1 :)