Re: Pen for pure fail over setup?

From: Ulric Eriksson <ulric_at_siag.nu>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 17:24:17 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006, Dominic Marks wrote:

> Hello,
>
> A quick question on pen's weighting feature which I couldn't find the answer
> to in the documentation. Can pen be configured with two servers to direct
> requests so that the first server will always receive requests if available
> and the second server used if the primary server is down.
>
> I'd like to run pen in front of apache so I can restart / shut down apache
> any time I like and have pen deliver any incoming requests to a static html
> site being served by another lightweight httpd (probably thttpd) with a 'down
> for maintainence' message.

Specify an "emergency" server using the -e option.

        -e host:port
               host:port specifies the emergency server to contact
               if all regular servers become unavailable.

So you run pen something like this:

pen 80 www1:80 -e www2:80

Pen will send everything to www1 until it goes down, and then it
will automatically blacklist www1 and send everything to www2
instead.

Ulric