Re: Merging logs under SSL request

From: Nathan Butcher <n-butcher_at_gol.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 16:20:06 +0900

Alright, I finally got SSL encapsulation working (although its a shame
that both servers I am load balancing out to can't share the load of the
SSL encryption/decryption, and pen has to do it all on one server.)

I also managed to get penlogd to produce correct client IPs for HTTPS
using clients, but it was only possible by adding the X-Forwarding-For
to the decrypted SSL connections in pen, getting tomcat to rewrite its
logs with that header, and then having the logs sent off to penlogd to
be merged with the (now decrypted) pen logs.

pen itself needs some extra debugging code when it does its SSL_Read and
SSL_Write, in order to trap weird SSL errors and other exceptions like
the one I encountered.

e.g. something like:-

if (rc < 0) {
    int err = SSL_get_error(ssl, n);
    if (err == SSL_ERROR_WANT_READ ||
        err == SSL_ERROR_WANT_WRITE) {
            return 0;
    } else {
        err == ERR_get_error();
        debug("SSL ERROR: %s", ERR_error_string(err, NULL));
    }
}

....would have at least given me some debugging information to go on
when SSL wasn't working.

Cheers and beers,