Re: Pen redundancy on Solaris, anyone?

From: Nathan Butcher <n-butcher_at_gol.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 18:00:11 +0900

Hi All,
> I'm running pen on solaris 10 and need to make it redundant (automatic
> failover). This link http://siag.nu/pen/vrrpd-linux.shtml says I can use
> vrrpd but from that I've read so far, vrrpd doesn't run on Solaris?
>
> Anyone has any experience on this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Hendra

The internet tells that sorry tale that vrrpd, freevrrpd, and even CARP
have been considered for Solaris porting, but the people supposedly
doing the porting were scared off by the patent issues. Hence, Solaris
sucks for pen+vrrp. Pen+Freevrrpd works nicely on *BSD though.

You could *try* compiling UCARP on Solaris 10, but no idea if it works
or not.
http://download.pureftpd.org/pub/ucarp/

And then there is "heartbeat", which supposedly compiles on Solaris. No
idea how to implement it with Pen though.