Re: Difference between "-c" and "-x"

From: Roberto Suarez Soto <robe_at_allenta.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 18:07:56 +0100

El Viernes, 28 de Marzo de 2008, escribió:

> However, maybe a userland proxy like pen isn't ideal for such large numbers
> of connections. I'd suggest either doing load-balanced DNAT in kernel space
> (e.g. using OpenBSD/FreeBSD pf, or I believe iptables in Linux can do this
> too), or for a business-critical application then buy a pair of hardware
> load balancers (e.g. Foundry, Alteon, F5, or many others to choose from).
> The latter can also do heartbeat monitoring, sticky sessions and SSL
> offloading.

        That would be the ideal solution, but unfortunately it's not an option for
non-technical reasons (politics, marketing, that stuff). Anyway, I think that
the real number of simultaneous connections won't be so high, and that a
fraction of the ~5000 (I'll try 1000) will do. I've not seen spikes higher
than that yet, and it's not 100% likely that they'll grow much more than
that.

        Thanks for the thorough explanation :-)

--
        Roberto Suarez Soto                             Allenta Consulting
        robe_at_allenta.com                                   www.allenta.com