SIAG on an Alpha machine

I've been running Linux on various DEC Alpha platforms for a couple of years.
The major problem with this platform has been the lack of a decent graphical
browser and the lack of a decent WYSIWYG word processor. The browser problem
has been solved but the WP problem remains.

I spotted SIAG 3.0.5 a while back, hoping that it (actually pw) might be a
solution to the lack of a WP. It compiled without errors using egcs-1.1b.

Unfortunately when siag or pw is run it segfaults. Strangely, if I move the
mouse *very* slowly I can run for some time and actually create and print files
but it will eventually segfault. If I move the mouse quickly it will segfault i
mmediately. I tried the just-released 3.0.6 with the same result. This happens
with both siag and pw.

I did get a lot of compiler warnings about conversions between integers and
pointers. The Alpha uses 32-bit integers and 64-bit pointers so conversions
between them which work on an Intel machine (where they are both 32-bit) cause
strange things to happen on the Alpha.

Has anybody else tried tried running on an alpha? Is there anything I can do to
figure out where the problem lies? I have tried many other WPs like Maxwell,
Thot, Papyrus, AbiWord and others. SIAG comes the closest by far to being a
usable WP.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

---
Brian E.W. Wood  beww@intac.com