Re: SIAG on an Alpha machine

On 06-Oct-98 Ulric Eriksson wrote:

> The conversion is from an integer to an XtPointer and back. Here is the
> relevant quote from "X Toolkit Intrinsics - C Language Interface":
>
> 1.5. Implementation-specific Types
> XtPointer
> A datum large enough to contain the largest of a char*, int*, function
> pointer, structure pointer, or long value. A pointer to any type or
> function, or a long value may be converted to an XtPointer and back again
> and the result will compare equal to the original value. In ANSI C
> environments it is expected that XtPointer will be defined as void*.
>
> IOW, if X on the Alpha doesn't allow the conversion, then X on the Alpha
> is broken. The C compiler is allowed to warn about it though (a C compiler
> is allowed to warn about anything, including correct code).

Thanks for this info. It basically confirms what I thought was the case.

> But I seriously doubt that X on the Alpha is broken. In any case, it is
> much easier to fix if the problem is with Siag.

I don't think it is broken either. It has been pretty well banged on by alot of
folks, including some *very* bright people at DEC.

> Additional clues:
>
>  - Does tsiag work? In that case, the problem can be narrowed down to the
> X specific code.

I hadn't tried compiling tsiag. I DLed it tonight to try it out. So far I am
getting:

The executable will be called tsiag
Press Return to install

mv -f Makefile Makefile.bak
imake -DUseInstalled -I/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config
./topdir.mk:2: *** missing separator.  Stop.
./topdir.mk:2: *** missing separator.  Stop.
./topdir.mk:2: *** missing separator.  Stop.

I'm not sure what's going on here but when I get some time I'll look into it
further (so many problems, so little time, and the day job gets so demanding).

As always, much thanks for your input.

---
Brian E.W. Wood  beww@intac.com