Re: missing menus in 3.1.21 and 3.2.0

On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Stuart Allie wrote:

> I've just tried to compile 3.2.0 and have encountered the following problem.
> Although the compile succeeds, on runnig siag, pw, or egon, the items on the
> menu bar are missing. that is, the tear-orr bar is there, but there are no
> menu titles and nothing happens when clicking where the titles should be.

If there is a tear-off bar on the menu bar, it can't be 3.2.0. One of the
changes from 3.1.x to 3.2.0 was that the menu code was rewritten, and this
was one feature that had to go.

> The  surprising thing is that this also happens when I install 3.1.21 from
> the binary distribution.
>
> My system is Redhat 6.1 with lots of additions. I have t1lib installed
> (can't remember if it was from a rpm or not...)
>
> There are a couple of other minor issues as well, so here's my actual
> questions:
>
> 1. Does anybody know why my menus are blank? And can anybody sugget a fix?
>
> 2. I have set up a t1lib.config file that lists a heap of fonts (the
> "freeqare" type 1 font collection) and although this gets rid of the error
> message about "FontDataBase," the fonts do not appear in the font selector.
> Any suggestions?

Check out the file fonts.scm and try to figure it out. ;-) The fonts need
to be "registered" by code that sits in common/fonts.c and is called by
Scheme wrapper functions in (siag,pw,egon)/cmds.c. The procedure isn't
very difficult, but there is no documentation outside the source.

> 3. I have looked at gsiag (3.0.6) and it seems that this package is not
> usable under later siag version. Is there an up-to-date gtk+ front end for
> siag? If not, I might have a go at doing one, if someone can tell me what
> files I need to re-write (windows.c at least...)

Go ahead! I for one have no time at all to maintain it, which is why it
hasn't been updated in years.

If you want to hack on it, you can take the existing gsiag-3.0.6.tar.gz
and try to make it work with the rest of everything, or you can rewrite it
from scratch. I don't know which is easier. There are a bunch of Gtk
widgets now that didn't exist when the port was originally done.

Ulric