Re: near-full server gives patchy response

From: Ulric Eriksson (ulric@siag.nu)
Date: Wed Jun 05 2002 - 15:46:05 CEST

On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, Robert Wilhite wrote:

> Here's the situation: I configured Pen 0.6.3 to limit the number of
> clients on each server. When the server pool is near its limit, the
> last few clients display an incomplete web page. A client (Netscape
> or IE) makes multiple connections to fetch all the buttons and doodads
> on the page. Some of those connections are concurrent (or overlap a
> bit), and Pen ends up rejecting some of them. The result is a page
> displayed with various bits and pieces missing.
>
> (Any other ideas on how to handle this type of activity in a near-
> full server pool? Per-IP-address connection queueing? (Ugh! :-p))

A solution to this problem is in Pen 0.8.0, which has separate soft and
hard limits on the number of connections to each server. If you previously
invoked pen as:

pen 80 server1:80:100 server2:80:100

you can now do

pen 80 server1:80:90:100 server2:80:90:100

This will cause the last 10 connections to be reserved for clients that
have used this server before.

The syntax is address:port:soft:hard. If the hard limit is omitted, it is
effectively the same as the soft limit.

Ulric